Professional Crawl Space Encapsulation for Homes in the Chicagoland, IL, Area
For many homeowners in the Chicagoland, Illinois, area, their home’s crawl space is out of sight and out of mind. That is, until serious problems arise. The fact is that homes with dirt or gravel bases are susceptible to a wide array of crawl space problems ranging from mold growth and insect infestation to poor energy efficiency. Fortunately, crawl space encapsulation is an effective long-term solution. And who better to provide this service than Chicagoland’s most trusted crawl space contractor—Alliance Restoration.
The Benefits of Crawl Space Encapsulation
There are many reasons why your family and your home would benefit from a crawl space encapsulation system. Let’s say you put your head in the crawl space right now. Do you smell a damp and musty odor? Is the air humid? Can you see water on the ground or wet discolored areas on the crawl space walls? If you look at the wooden floor joists, do you see mold or wood rot? In the winter, do you notice the floor above the crawl space is cold or drafty? We have just walked you through some standard questions in our inspection process. A crawl space encapsulation system will:
- Improve indoor air quality – Encapsulating your crawl space will prevent potentially harmful gasses from the soil from passing into your home.
- Reduce pests – Damp crawl spaces are ideal environments for pests, including termites. Encapsulation systems significantly reduce moisture, helping to keep pests away from your home.
- Prevent mold – By eliminating dampness and standing water, crawl space encapsulation will inhibit mold growth, thereby protecting your home and your health.
- Prevent structural damage – An encapsulation system will prevent standing water which can cause wood rot and other structural issues.
- Improve energy efficiency – With less damp air passing into your home, it will be easier and less costly to maintain comfortable indoor temperatures.
Our Crawl Space Encapsulation Process
Alliance Restoration offers full-service crawl space services, allowing us to address any problems that you are experiencing. We start by removing any debris so that we can properly assess the walls and flooring. If your crawl space has a dirt or gravel base, we will level the floor as much as possible.
Once your crawl space has been properly prepared, we’ll add drainage matting—a first layer that features exceptional tear resistance and provides waterproofing channels. Then, we’ll encapsulate your crawl space with a vapor barrier. This reinforced liner is very different from what you can get at the local hardware store and will not easily puncture or deteriorate over time like the plastic alternatives used by builders.
Additionally, Alliance Restoration will seal the wall and floor liners together with specialized, waterproof tape and secure the liners to the wall with fasteners and sealant. Once secured, we’ll seal the floor joists and any air gaps with closed cell spray foam. Next, we replace missing, damaged, or rotting vent covers or crawl space doors. The final step in our crawl space sealing and insulation process is installing a dehumidifier that will help clean the air, control humidity, and protect whatever you decide to store in your encapsulated crawl space. Learn more about our specialized, high-capacity dehumidifiers designed specifically for the crawl space environment.
Speak to one of our project managers about the crawl space problems you are experiencing and learn more about the crawl space encapsulation services that Alliance Restoration provides in the Chicagoland, IL, area. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.